Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The End of An Era...


I have so many posts that should go before this one...but this is a momentous occasion in the life of O and so it needs to be added post haste!...Read on for full details...and a picture will be posted as soon as I download them from my camera...

Today at the park, Owen played most of the time with a random group of children, whose “leader” was a 5 year old little boy. They played mostly tag and climbed large rocks.

When it was time to go, I went up to Owen and let him know that we were leaving soon, and reminded him to please not play with sticks when around other children…The other boys had sticks, and O pointed out such fact to me. I acknowledged said fact, but advised Owen that they were bigger and that when he is a little bigger he can too play with sticks around other children. He immediately informed me that “I’m a big boy too mom!” (with frown!)…and I corrected myself on the spot!

So tonight after our bath, I took the opportunity of his big boy-ness, to point out that since he is such a big boy now, (and had played with all those big boys), that maybe it’s time to throw out the bottles, as bottles are really for babies. He said “Yeah”…so I clarified that the “yeah” meant that he actually wanted to throw out the bottles…and so we did. We gathered the 3 bottles, and one by one, he threw them in the garbage…which we immediately walked out to the curb and placed the white bag in the large brown bin! ALL BY HIMSELF! We said, “Bye, bye bottles” and so ended another phase in my ever growing boy. At bedtime, I offered milk or water in either a sippy or just a cup, and he said, “No thank you, let’s just read”…and so we did!

YEY O!!!

I must admit that I had pictured this moment to be such a traumatic time in our lives...for O, as his pre-nap/bed bottles had been a source of comfort for him, and I figured taking that source of comfort away would cause Joe and I much discomfort as the "taker awayers"...but no...today was the right day to tackle this looming job...and it went better than I could ever dream...Sigh...he grows...

2 comments:

gigi said...

OMG, I am crying, such a BIG BOY!!!

Joe said...

Hooray!! Big-Guy!!